Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Summer Television?

The end of the "spring television season" was dreary enough as so many programs faced daunting challenges, including the two series I watch on network TV most often, The Voice and American Idol. Both of those programs did what they could to help participants ( which they accomplished quite well I thought ) and generate viewer enthusiasm. I'm not privy to the ratings, the real numbers of texts and calls and votes, so I'm not sure how "the excitement meter" measured. Both were odd to watch at times --without an audience and without in-person mentoring, but they did the best they could. On The Voice, I got very tired, very quickly, of being shown how much 3 of the coaches were drinking, and on one of the nights, I was / am convinced that perhaps 2 of them, and not the one you would think of, had quite enough thank you! Then again, I have an aversion to drinking alcohol anyway, and it's a real turn-off.

Watching a full season without in-person live performances would not interest me, it was simply a bit difficult to not follow the participants I liked to the very end.

I did notice advertisements for a new program--=-and I guess viewers watch celebrities watch television programs!? Really? I thought programs like the Bachelor and Bachelorette insulted the intelligence of Americans everywhere--and my guilty pleasure, pro wrestling, isn't exactly rocket science. But watching people watch television? Really? Oh my!

Most of what I watch beyond that is Hallmark, both the Movies and Mysteries Channel and the Hallmark Channel. I especially enjoy the mysteries, and am grateful for Hallmark re-running Christmas movies-one on Thursday evening and one on Friday evening. I'm more than a little concerned about how many new Christmas movies Hallmark and Lifetime will be able to produce during the summer, as my understanding is many would ordinarily be in production right now.

Beyond Hallmark, it's The Food Network ( although I am so done with most of the competitions -the exceptions being the Baking Championships--because of Duff Goldman and his co-hosts ----and the Childrens' Baking Championship because of Duff Goldman and fellow host Valerie Bertinelli. ) and History Channel; American Heroes Channel and a few other educational / history - focused channels and programs I've found, and repeats of some of my favorite programs such as Mayberry, Carol Burnett, and NCIS --along with some movies.

The dearth of sports has been interesting. I'm a long time pro wrestling fan, so having 4 nights of pro wrestling--3 different promotions--has given me a "sport" to watch some evenings. I'm beyond ticked at both the billionaire owners and the millionaire players--the greed is so obvious and the tone-deafness about how "at risk" some of the players have complained about ( please go to a grocery store, or a healthcare facility, or a police / fire station, and talk to them about being "at-risk" for covid 19 -- at a insignificant amount of money compared to what every pro baseball player is making! So--at this point--although baseball has been my life-long favorite sport--the hell with them all! I won't watch you even if you play.

It's going to be difficult to play any sport this summer or fall--even if the intentions are good.

The great news? I still love to read! I have about 40 mysteries in my bookcase I've yet to read, and a number of other books to re-read. I'm never bored.

So, I'm able to be selective with what television I watch, which is minimal anyway. I have too many other good options--don't you? I walk 3 miles per day, take care of our beautiful great-niece a couple days most weeks, have yard work to do, friends to talk with on the telephone, neighbors to chat with in-person, some work that I do for Jamn Promotions, a little blogging, and my reading. Good thing, because from what I see, the summer season is filled with a few new game shows, and people watching people watch television--punctuated only by a seemingly endless amount of bad news.

What are you doing this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment